Taking God at His Word
From Psalm 119 we can see clearly what the Bible does. Below we have listed some of what the Bible does for us:
- Opens our eyes to who God actually is (Psalm 119:18)
- Leads us to holy living (Psalm 119:101)
- Keeps us pure (Psalm 119:9-11)
- Gives us comfort (Psalm 119:82)
- Teaches us to pray (Psalm 119:29)
- Fills us with joy (Psalm 119:111)
- Provides understanding and light (Psalm 119:105, 130)
In response to what the Bible does for us we should be led to respond. Kevin DeYoung in his book Taking God at His Word provides seven ways we can respond to the Bible from Psalm 119.
- Delight in the word (Psalm 119:14)
- We sing the word (Psalm 119:172)
- Speak the word (Psalm 119:13, 46, 79)
- Study the word (Psalm 119:15, 48, 97, 148)
- Store up (memorize) the word (Psalm 119:11, 93, 141)
- Obey the word (Psalm 119:8, 44, 57, 129, 145, 146, 167, 168)
- Praise God for the word (Psalm 119:7, 62, 164, 171)
Why not take a moment today and ask God for help to open your eyes to the Bible and as your eyes are opened catch a glimpse of his glory and find a delight that fills your heart with joy!
This post corresponds with Pastor Jacob Atchley's August 27, 2017 sermon "Our Delightful Word" from Psalm 119.